An overall objective of Dr Phil Bond’s research is to understand complexities of microbial communities and to determine molecular details of microbial functions in their environments. Understanding biofilm ecology is essential for these purposes. He has been active in the research field of microbial ecology in engineered water and wastewater systems and other environments for more than 20 years. These activities have focused to determine complexities of microbial communities, combining metagenomic investigations with transcriptomic and proteomic approaches, to elucidate functions and processes important in these biofilm environments.
Current Research Topics
- Biofilm control– determining the mechanisms of an antimicrobial agent, free nitrous acid.
- Understanding microbial oxidation that causes costly concrete corrosion in sewers.
- Treatment of alternative water sources, stormwater and greywater to produce fit-for-purpose water supply.
- Use of an antimicrobial agent for controlling microbial concrete corrosion in sewers.
- Single cell protein production from wastewater treatment.
- Enhancing anaerobic sludge digestion by free nitrous acid treatment to improve the economics of a wastewater treatment plant.
- Determining microbial oxidation important for forming protective hardpan layer on mine tailings.
Z Yuan, G Jiang, P Bond. A novel method for controlling microbial concrete corrosion in sewers. ARC LP15. $370,000. 2015-2018.
McCarthy D, Bond PL, Keller Y, Yuan Z. Fit-for-purpose water production, CRC-Water Sensitive Cites. $333,000. 2014-2016.
Yuan Z, Ye L, Batstone D, Bond PL, Vierboom A, O'Halloran K. Treatment of secondary sludge using free nitrous acid to enhance performance and economics of a wastewater treatment plant. ARC-LP. $325,000. 2013-2016.
Prof Z Yuan, PL Bond, Liu Ye, and DJ Richardson. Biofilm Control in Wastewater Systems using Free Nitrous Acid – A Renewable Material from Wastewater, ARC Discovery. $390,000. 2012-2015.
PL Bond. Novel aerobic granular sludge process for optimal wastewater treatment. QLD Government Smart State Fellowship Program, Innovation Fund. $600,000. 2009-2011
Blackall LL, Bond PL, Johnson CR, Beiko RB. Metagenomics and the genetic basis of ecology and evolution of communities - complex microbial communities in industrial processes as excellent paradigms. ARC Discovery (DP0773857) $485,000. 1-1-2007 to 1-1-2010.
Rabaey K and Bond PL, Nealson KH, Boon N, Pichler FB. Extracellular electron transfer in bio-electrochemical systems. ARC Discovery (DP0879245) $485,000. 1-1-2008 to 1-1-2012
Prof Z Yuan, J Keller, RE Melchers, RM Stuetz, PL Bond, M Valix. Optimal management of corrosion and odour problems in sewer systems. ARC Industry Linkage (LP0882016) $8million. 1-7-2008 to 1-7-2013
- Shuhong Gao
- Andrew Laloo
- Lele Wang
- Allen Liu
- Gao, Shu-Hong; Fan, Lu; Peng, Lai; Guo, Jianhua; Agullo-Barcelo, Miriam; Yuan, Zhiguo and Bond, Philip L. (2016) Determining multiple responses of Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1 to an antimicrobial agent, free nitrous acid. Environmental Science and Technology http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.6b00288.
- Barr, Jeremy J., Dutilh, Bas E., Skennerton, Connor T., Fukushima, Toshikazu, Hastie, Marcus L., Gorman, Jeffrey J., Tyson, Gene W. and Bond, Philip L. (2016) Metagenomic and metaproteomic analyses of Accumulibacter phosphatis enriched floccular and granular biofilm. Environmental Microbiology, 18: 273-287.
- Paul Wilmes, Anna Heintz-Buschart and Philip L. Bond. (2015) A decade of metaproteomics: where we stand and what the future holds. Proteomics. Volume: 15 Issue: 20: 3409-3417.
- Jiang, Guangming, Sun, Xiaoyan, Keller, Jurg and Bond, Philip L. (2015) Identification of controlling factors for the initiation of corrosion of fresh concrete sewers. Water Research, 80: 30-40.
- Li, Xiaofang, Bond, Philip L., Van Nostrand, Joy D., Zhou, Jizhong and Huang, Longbin (2015) From lithotroph- to organotroph dominant: directional shift of microbial community in sulphidic tailings during phytostabilization. Scientific Reports, 5 Art No.: 12978: doi:10.1038/srep12978
- Xiaoyan Sun, Guangming Jiang, Philip L Bond, Jurg Keller, and Zhiguo Yuan. (2015). A novel and simple treatment for control of sulfide induced sewer concrete corrosion using free nitrous acid. Water Research, 70: 279-287.
- Grobbler, C., Virdis, B., Nouwens, A, Harnisch, F., Rabaey, K., and Bond, P.L. (2015). Use of SWATH mass spectrometry for quantitative proteomic investigation of Shewanella oneidensis MR-1 biofilms grown on graphite cloth electrodes. Systematic and Applied Microbiology, 38 (2): 135-139.
- Skennerton, C. T., J. Barr, F. R. Slater, P. L. Bond and G. W. Tyson. (2014) Expanding our view of genomic diversity in Candidatus Accumulibacter clades. Environmental Microbiology 17 (5): 1574-1585
- Pervin, H.M., Dennis, P.G., Lim, H.J., BSc; Tyson, G.W., Batstone, D.J., and Bond, P.L. (2013) Drivers of microbial community composition in mesophilic and thermophilic temperature-phased anaerobic digestion pre-treatment reactors. Water Research 47 (19), 7098-7108.
- Pan, Y., Ni, B.-J., Bond, P.L., Ye, L. and Yuan, Z., (2013). Electron competition among nitrogen oxides reduction during methanol-utilizing denitrification in wastewater treatment. Water Research 47 (10), 3273-3281.
- Cayford, B., Dennis, P., Keller, J., Tyson, G., and Bond, P.L. (2012) High-throughput amplicon sequencing reveals distinct communities within a corroding concrete sewer system. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 78: 7160-7162
- Verawaty, M., Pijuan, M., Yuan, Z. and Bond, P.L. (2012) Determining the mechanisms for aerobic granulation from mixed seed of floccular and crushed granules in activated sludge wastewater treatment. Water Research, 46 (3), 761-771.
- Cheng, M., A. E. Cook, T. Fukushima and P. L. Bond (2011). Evidence of compositional differences between the extracellular and intracellular DNA of a granular sludge biofilm. Letters in Applied Microbiology 53(1): 1-7.
- Slater, F.R., Singer, A.C., Turner S., Barr, J.J. and Bond P.L. (2011) Pandemic pharmaceutical dosing effects on wastewater treatment: no adaptation of activated sludge bacteria to degrade the antiviral drug Oseltamivir (Tamiflu) and loss of nutrient removal performance. FEMS Microbiology Letters 315: 17-22.
- J. J. Barr, F. Slater, T. Fukushima and P. L. Bond. (2010) Evidence for bacteriophage activity causing community and performance changes in a phosphorus-removal activated sludge. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 74: 631-642.
- Slater, F.R., Johnson, C.R., Blackall, L. L., Beiko, R.G. and Bond P.L. (2010) Monitoring associations between clade-level variation, overall community structure and ecosystem function in enhanced biological phosphorus removal (EBPR) systems using terminal-restriction fragment length polymorphism (T-RFLP). Water Research 44: 4908-4923.
- Read, S. T., P. Dutta, P. L. Bond, J. Keller and K. Rabaey (2010). "Initial development and structure of biofilms on microbial fuel cell anodes." BMC Microbiology 10: 98.
- *Wilmes, P. and Bond, P.L. (2009) Microbial community proteomics: elucidating the catalysts and metabolic mechanisms that drive the Earth's biogeochemical cycles. Current Opinion in Microbiology 12: 310-317.
- Wilmes, P., Andersson, A.F., Lefsrud, M.G., Wexler, M., Shah, M., Zhang, B., Hettich, R.L., Bond, P.L., VerBerkmoes, N.C., and Banfield, J.F. (2008) Community proteogenomics highlights strain-variant protein expression within activated sludge performing enhanced biological phosphorus removal. The ISME Journal 2:853-864.
- Wilmes, P. Wexler, M., and Bond, P.L. (2008) Metaproteomics Provides Functional Insight into Activated Sludge Wastewater Treatment. PLoS ONE 3: e1778.
- Rabaey, K., Read, S., Clauwaert, P., Freguia, S., Bond, P.L., Blackall L.L., and Keller, J. (2008) Cathodic oxygen reduction catalyzed by bacteria in microbial fuel cells. ISME Journal 2: 519-527.
- Todd, J.D., Rogers, R., Li, Y.G., Wexler, M., Bond, P.L., Sun, L., Curson, A.R.J., Malin, G., Steinke, M., and Johnston, A.W.B. (2007) Structural and Regulatory Genes Required to Make the Gas Dimethyl Sulfide in Bacteria. Science 315:666-669
- Wilmes, P. and Bond, P.L. (2004) The application of two-dimensional polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis and downstream analyses to a mixed community of prokaryotic microorganisms. Environmental Microbiology 6:911-920.
- Bond, P.L., and Banfield, J.F. (2001) Design and performance of rRNA targeted oligo-nucleotide probes for in situ detection and phylogenetic identification of microorganisms inhabiting acid mine drainage environments. Microbial Ecology 41, 149-161
- Labrenz, M., Druschel, G.K., Thomsen-Ebert, T., Gilbert, B., Welch, S.A., Kemner, K.M., Logan, G.A., Summons, R.E., De Stasio, G., Bond, P.L., Lai, B., Kelly, S.D., and Banfield. J.F. (2000) Formation of Sphalerite (ZnS) Deposits in Natural Biofilms of Sulfate-Reducing Bacteria. Science 290, 1744-1747
- Bond, P.L., Smriga, S.P., and Banfield, J.F. (2000) Phylogeny of microorganisms populating a thick, subaerial, predominantly lithotrophic biofilm at an extreme acid mine drainage site. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 66, 3843-3849.
- Crocetti G.R., Hugenholtz, P., Bond, P.L., Schuler, A., Keller, J., Jenkins, D., and Blackall, L.L. (2000) Identification of polyphosphate accumulating organisms and the design of 16S rRNA-directed probes for their detection and quantitation. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 66, 1175-1182.
- Edwards, K.J., Bond, P.L., Gihring, T.M., and Banfield, J. F. (2000) An archaeal iron-oxidizing extreme acidophile important in acid mine drainage. Science 287, 1796-1799.
- Bond, P.L., Hugenholtz, P., Keller, J., and Blackall, L.L. (1995) Bacterial community structures of phosphate-removing and non-phosphate-removing activated sludges from sequencing batch reactors. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 61, 1910-1916.
|Control of opportunistic pathogens in biofilms in hospital plumbing systems|
|Rapid, quantitative detection of Legionella using electro-immuno-detection|
Antibiotic resistance in urban water cycle
Advanced Water Management Centre (AWMC)