QAEHS in Focus - Pradeep Dewapriya

26 Aug 2022

QAEHS in Focus shines the spotlight on QAEHS staff and students to showcase the expertise and talent within our Centre.

Pradeep DewapriyaHow long have you worked at QAEHS?

I started my role at QAEHS in mid-2020, middle of the covid-19 pandemic, and have been here for two years.

How do you explain your job to people?

By training, I am an analytical chemist. At QAEHS, I am developing novel analytical techniques to rapidly identify and quantify immerging chemical hazards in the environment and biomonitoring. I specifically focus on developing advanced mass spectrometry-based non-target methods.

What is your favourite thing about working at QAEHS?

QAEHS is one of the best research facilities I have ever been to. State-of-the-art mass spectrometry facility and collaborating with leaders in my reach field around the world are what I most enjoy.

What is something you learned in the last week?

I learnt how to add a drop-down list in excel.

What has been your career path that led to your current position at QAEHS?

I believe my PhD in natural product chemistry, where I gained a solid analytical chemistry background, and postdoctoral research work at GEOMAR, Germany paved the path to my current role at QAEHS.

What research are you working on now?

I am working on multiple interesting reach projects on non-target analysis. My main research area is comprehensive non-target analysis of PFAS exposure in Australian communities. 

What is your favourite movie?

In general, I enjoy biopics, but my favourite is Forrest Gump.

Random fact you would like to share about yourself.

While waiting for my university entry exam results, I did an internship at an automobile garage and learned how to use power tools. Thanks to that experience, now, I am a great handyman.