QAEHS In Focus: Richard Bade

9 Feb 2023

QAEHS in Focus shines the spotlight on QAEHS staff and students to showcase the expertise and talent within our Centre.

dr richard badeHow long have you worked at QAEHS?

Almost 2 years.

How do you explain your job to people?

I look for ‘new’ drugs in wastewater. Knowledge of the harms and (safe) dose sizes of these drugs is generally limited, so it is important from a public health standpoint to monitor the use and onset of these compounds in the community.

What is your favourite thing about working at QAEHS?

The people and the breadth of research being undertaken. Also the range of instruments and samples that we have access to!

What is something you learned in the last week?

You can halve the number of emails you receive by incorporating filters for “Greetings of the Day!”

What has been your career path that led to your current position at QAEHS?

A very convoluted career path via Spain and Adelaide. During my PhD in Spain, I met a few members of QAEHS. One such member suggested I apply for a position in Adelaide, which I was lucky enough to get, allowing me to collaborate further with QAEHS on the National Wastewater Drug Monitoring Program. After 4 years at UniSA, the opportunity arose to move to QAEHS.

What research are you working on now?

Trying to explore the relationship of new psychoactive substances in different countries and whether we can predict when and where new drugs will emerge.

What is your favourite movie?

Back to the Future (Part 1). Closely followed by Parts 3 and 2.

Random fact you would like to share about yourself.

For the last 20 years, I have managed at least one fantasy NRL team. Currently, I manage four, with my dog allowing me to look after hers.