QAEHS in Focus: Belinda Moore

1 Jun 2023

QAEHS in Focus shines the spotlight on QAEHS staff and students to showcase the expertise and talent within our Centre.

Belinda MooreWhy did you choose QAEHS to study with?

I wanted to study with QAEHS right from the first year of my undergraduate degree. I did an assignment on PPCPs while studying abroad and was impressed with the range of project options available at QAEHS.

What is your research about?

I study plastic additives in wastewater. Due to legislation overseas, there have been shifts from traditional bisphenols and phthalates to alternative chemicals. I’m investigating whether we have seen that shift yet in Australia, and whether we can estimate how much of these chemicals are coming from point (as opposed to diffuse) sources.

How do QAEHS academics assist with the development of your research?

This is an incredibly supportive community. There are a number of people who make an effort to help new students settle and feel like a part of the group. There are also many opportunities to be exposed to what other people are working on so that you can seek out specific advice.

What is the best thing about living in Brisbane?

Brisbane has the advantage of being a smaller city while still having all of the sports/hobby/arts clubs and events that you could want. We are also really close to both beaches and rainforest hikes.

What is your favourite movie?

Pacific Rim. Giant monsters fighting giant robots: truly the peak of cinema.

Random fact you would like to share about yourself.

I am an unpublished science fiction writer, but I’m working hard to get my manuscripts out there.