QAEHS in Focus: Chang He

16 Oct 2020

QAEHS in Focus shines the spotlight on QAEHS staff and students to showcase the expertise and talent within our Centre.

Dr Chang HeHow long have you worked at QAEHS?

I have worked at ENTOX/QAEHS for 5.5 years.

How do you explain your job to people?

Humans are exposed to millions of chemicals every day, even though we cannot see them. My role is to identify and measure the hazardous chemicals which may have adverse effects on humans and the environment.

What is your favourite thing about working at QAEHS?

People in QAEHS are great to work with. I enjoy every time that I ask people questions and get a smile and explanation. Everyone in QAEHS has his/her expertise, and always happy to share it with others.

What is something you learned in the last week?

I spent a lot of time in baking during the lockdown. I made my first mousse cake last week. 

What has been your career path that led to your current position at QAEHS?

I started my PhD in QAEHS in 2015, working on the sources, fate, and human exposure to organophosphate flame retardants. After my graduation in 2018, I started my postdoctoral research fellow position at QAEHS.

What research are you working on now?

The key areas of my interest are investigating the fate and distribution of organic contaminants in the environment and human. For example, we are now working on the biotransformation of organic contaminants in humans, such as chlorinated paraffins and poly- and per-fluoroalkyl substances.

What is your favourite movie?

I am a fan of Sci-Fi. Inception is one of my favourites.

Random fact you would like to share about yourself.

My name “means” chorus in Chinese.