QAEHS in Focus: Youngjoon Jeon

9 Mar 2022

QAEHS in Focus shines the spotlight on QAEHS staff and students to showcase the expertise and talent within our Centre.

Youngjoon JeonWhy did you choose QAEHS to study with?

After I finished my Masters degree in environmental science, I worked in forensic services with a mass spectrometre as a mandatory military service. I was not sure if I could find the next job using both knowledge, and then I just found Kevin’s post about this amazing PhD opportunity in environmental science using mass spectrometre with great people. It was really lucky.

What is your research about?

One of the most promising parts in analytic chemistry is non-target analysis, meaning we do not need list of suspect contaminants or chemicals anymore. But there are many limitations in this latest technique yet and one of them is that we do not know the range of this non-target analysis. For example, some chemicals could have negative results with a non-target analysis method even though that chemical is actually in the sample if the method did not cover that chemical’s chemicophysical range of detection. I want to develop and test a benchmark set of chemical standards to characterise this range of detection of each non-target method.

How do QAEHS academics assist with the development of your research?

From friendly air of colleagues to deep academic knowledge of advisors, every second in QAEHS feels like I’m working in the most desirable research facility. Non-academic activities like sports, gatherings, or drinks also make my life happier.

What has been the best advice you have received about coping with the move to Brisbane?

An air conditioned house to live in, and that you don’t need to bring your winter clothes at all.

What is your favourite movie?

Animated film Inside Out (2015) from Disney.

Random fact you would like to share about yourself.

I helped my parents raise my youngest brother who’s 11 yrs younger than me, but I have no idea with looking after my son now.