QAEHS in Focus: Daniel Barry

17 Jan 2023

QAEHS in Focus shines the spotlight on QAEHS staff and students to showcase the expertise and talent within our Centre.

Daniel BarryHow long have you worked at QAEHS?

I’ve worked at QAEHS since January 2022, so about a year.

How do you explain your job to people?

I work on a project with the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) that monitors drug use in communities by assessing the amount of drugs that are detectable in wastewater. So I basically help fight crime.

What is your favourite thing about working at QAEHS?

Definitely the people! There’s a very positive community here at QAEHS, which is great to be a part of.

What is something you learned in the last week?

The USA are the only country in the world with a continuous democracy more than 200 years old.

What has been your career path that led to your current position at QAEHS?

I’ve always been very passionate about health. Previously I worked in malaria research at the University of Melbourne, where we were trying to find a new anti-malarial drug to enter the drug development pipeline. I then received an offer to study medicine in the Gold Coast, so moved my life up to Queensland before getting a job at QAEHS.

What is your favourite movie?

This is a hard one! But I’d have to say Hocus Pocus, I have fond memories growing up with that movie.

Random fact you would like to share about yourself.

As a child, I was allergic to mosquito bites! (This is not why I went into malaria research)