QAEHS in Focus: Qiuda Zheng

4 Jun 2021

QAEHS in Focus shines the spotlight on QAEHS staff and students to showcase the expertise and talent within our Centre.

qiuda zhengWhy did you choose QAEHS to study with?

I did my research in wastewater-based epidemiology in my Master’s and have a strong intention to continue the research for my PhD study. I knew QAEHS also focuses on this field and it was my first choice, so I connected with QAEHS at the last year of my Master’s study.

What is your research about?

My research is about estimating tobacco and alcohol consumption in populations by wastewater analysis. Simply, to know how much people drink and smoke.

How do QAEHS academics assist with the development of your research?

QAEHS has a super sample collection plan and sample bank, which we could go back to the question about the chemical use or exposure level 10 years ago. This helps us to do a unique study in assessing temporal trends of chemical use and provide evidence-based data to help public health. With the discussing about our research hypothesis with the supervisor team and fantastic analyst team, we could test our ideas properly.

Also, I know a lot of fun facts of beer from QAEHS which helps me do better in my alcohol research.

What has been the best advice you have received about coping with the move to Brisbane?

It is about taking my swimming suit and goggles as there are a lot of beaches in Brisbane.

What is your favourite movie?

Fast and furious. Especially those muscle fights make me feel excited.

Random fact you would like to share about yourself.

I have a twin sister which never made me feel lonely in my childhood.