QAEHS in Focus: Lachlan Jekimovs

15 Aug 2024

QAEHS in Focus shines the spotlight on QAEHS staff and students to showcase the expertise and talent within our Centre. 

How long have you worked at QAEHS?

I have been at QAEHS for 10 months.

How do you explain your job to people?

I explain that I am a Research Analyst who specialises in advanced mass spectrometry. And if I haven’t bored them by then I will elaborate and explain that I develop, maintain, and diagnose issues with mass spectrometers which are specialised equipment that allows the detection of chemicals by their mass.

What is your favourite thing about working at QAEHS?

Ever since I started working here at QAEHS, my favourite thing by far has been the people. Everyone is so kind, smart and passionate which creates an awesome environment to work in. Additionally, the areas of research are extremely diverse and interesting which keeps me on my toes every day.

What is something you learned in the last week?

If you were to lay out all your blood vessels in your body, it would stretch around the world approximately 2.5 times.

What has been your career path that led to your current position at QAEHS?

I completed my bachelor’s degree in science (Chemistry) at Queensland University of Technology where I then moved straight into my Masters of Philosophy degree at QUT. This ultimately led to me being employed here at QAEHS.  

What is your favourite movie?

Unfortunately, I don’t really enjoy watching movies… however, that means if I suggest a movie, it must have been amazing. The one which stands out to me the most has to be Interstellar.

Random fact you would like to share about yourself.

I am a massive sports fan and will talk/watch almost every sport you can name.