QAEHS in Focus: Rose Nguyen

2 Jul 2021

QAEHS in Focus shines the spotlight on QAEHS staff and students to showcase the expertise and talent within our Centre.

rose nguyenWhy did you choose QAEHS to study with?

I was looking for a PhD scholarship on remediation of PFAS in the environment exactly when QAEHS was offering a perfect matching one. It’s all about destiny!

What is your research about?

The legacy use of PFASs in aqueous film-forming foams (AFFF) for firefighting has resulted in widespread environmental contamination at airports, fire training grounds, landfills, and manufacturing facilities. In Australia, these contaminations have occurred at more than 500 sites across all states and territories. My research is about understanding the fate and transport behaviour of these AFFF-related PFAS in soils. The aim of the project is to optimise and validate remediation of PFAS-contaminated soils using soil washing techniques and to assess and validate the sustainability and long-term performance of remediation.

How do QAEHS academics assist with the development of your research?

QAEHS is one of the most supportive and approachable research environments that I have ever been in. At QAEHS, I am working with an amazing advisory team and many wonderful colleagues. I always appreciate the great research and human resources of QAEHS and that keeps my research motivation up.

What has been the best advice you have received about coping with the move to Brisbane?

Public transport is not as good as Melbourne or Sydney. Choose a room with an air conditioner is also the most common advice.

What is your favourite movie?

I don’t have a favourite movie.

Random fact you would like to share about yourself.

I helped deliver my housemate’s baby at home.